Today there are well over a hundred recognized styles of beer. While it may not be feasible to study each individual style, after completing this course, you will know the main groupings of beer and what differentiates them. An examination of beer styles includes an understanding of judging guidelines and knowledge of all beer making methods, including those outside of a traditional brewery. Most importantly, you will gain the ability to perform a proper sensory evaluation of beer, including documenting your findings.
- Follow a set of criteria to taste and evaluate beer
- Identify the guidelines used to classify beer
- Differentiate the characteristics of lager and ale beer styles
- Explore wild fermentation and barrel aging as additional beer making methods
- Douglass Miller, Lecturer, School of Hotel Administration