Introduction to Global Hospitality Management MOOC
Globally, 1 in 11 jobs are in the hospitality industry, with predictions for continued expansion. Hospitality careers are often stereotyped as low-wage and entry-level with little opportunity for advancement, but with continual innovation and self-motivation, opportunities for talented individuals abound, and are increasing.
Are you wondering if a career in hospitality management, restaurant management, hotel asset management, or services marketing would benefit you? Are you currently working in the industry and seeking promotional opportunities? Explore this free online course and let Cornell University introduce you to this exciting industry.
This course is currently available in archive, self-paced format (non-instructor).
What are the topics covered in this course?
- An Introduction to the Hospitality Industry
- Strategic Hospitality Management and Innovation
- Owners, Operators, and Investors: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Investing in the World of Hospitality
- Marketing the Hospitality Experience
- Human Resources Management in Hospitality
What you'll learn
- Explore the many wide-ranging career opportunities in hospitality and hotel management
- Gain career advice and stories from international industry experts
- Use an analysis tool to evaluate competitors and make strategic decisions
- Analyze factors leading to an own-vs.-lease decision
- Explore distribution channels and pricing strategies
- Learn how to select smart, talented employees
Who is the intended audience for this course?
The audience for this MOOC is anyone in the hospitality industry seeking to advance, as well as individuals who are interested but who don’t know much about the industry. It’s also appropriate for use as an employee-development tool within hospitality industry organizations.
About the School of Hotel Administration
The School of Hotel Administration at Cornell University is shaping the global knowledge base for hospitality management through leadership in education, research, and industry advancement. Accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the school provides management instruction in the full range of hospitality disciplines, educating the next generation of leaders in the world's largest industry. Founded in 1922 as the nation's first collegiate course of study in hospitality management, the Cornell School of Hotel Administration is recognized as the world leader in its field. For more information, visit sha.cornell.edu.