Valuing Hotel Investments Through Effective Forecasting
Hotel investment opportunities cannot be properly evaluated without accurate forecasts of the revenues and expenses the property is expected to produce. This course builds expertise in producing accurate forecasts of occupancy, average rates, cash flows and real estate value needed to support hotel investment and lending decisions.
Participants will learn to accurately forecast hotel occupancies both for new properties and for existing properties facing significant new competition. They will forecast daily occupancy rates using a variety of contemporary techniques and tools, forecast hotel cash flows respecting the fixed and variable revenue and cost structure of a hotel. Participants will estimate the value of individual hotels, taking into account the impact of new properties on existing properties. Given that forecasts are only as accurate as the starting assumptions, participants learn how to develop and gather data to support all of these forecasts.
Who Should Take this Course?
This course is designed for -
- Managers and professionals in the hospitality industry with financial or operational responsibility for real estate, investments, or management contracts;
- General managers, asset managers, and others with asset management responsibilities;
- Business development professionals with branded operators who have professional interaction with owners;
- Lenders, investors, real estate professionals, and developers who seek entrance into the hospitality real estate market.
Participants who complete this course will be able to...
Perform a market study for a particular property
Forecast occupancy and average daily rates
Produce accurate forecasts of income and expenses
Use the income approach to produce an estimate of market value
Produce defensible and supportable estimates using the tools developed in this course
- Jan deRoos, Ph.D., Associate Professor and HVS International Professor of Finance and Real Estate , School of Hotel Administration, Cornell SC Johnson College of Business
Estimated Hours to Complete Course: 6.0
About the School of Hotel Administration at the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business
The School of Hotel Administration at the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business is shaping the global knowledge base for hospitality management through leadership in education, research, and industry advancement. Accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the school provides management instruction in the full range of hospitality disciplines, educating the next generation of leaders in the world's largest industry. Founded in 1922 as the nation's first collegiate course of study in hospitality management, the Cornell School of Hotel Administration is recognized as the world leader in its field.